News & Blog
10 Healthy Food Substitutes
April 13, 2023
When it comes to healthy eating, small changes can make a big difference.
To make recipes healthier for you and your family, try these 10 simple substitutes:
- Eat brown rice instead of white rice.
Brown rice has more fiber and nutrients than white rice. The fiber also makes it more filling.
- Use egg whites instead of whole eggs.
Swap ¼ cup of egg substitute or two egg whites for each egg in a recipe to cut calories and cholesterol.
- Skillet of whole wheat pasta and vegetables.
Choose multigrain or whole wheat pasta instead of white pasta.
Some pastas also have omega-3 fatty acids, an added benefit.
- Swap canned goods to whole fresh foods
Canned goods contain preservatives and added flavorings that could be bad for your health if taken in certain amounts.
- Use fat-free yogurt instead of sour cream.
Plain, fat-free yogurt—especially Greek yogurt—is a great way to cut calories and saturated fat while maintaining a tangy flavor. It’s sure to leave you feeling better about your meal.
- Try fresh herbs and spices instead of salt and salt-based herbs.
You’ll leave behind the sodium and add new flavor to your meals. If you can’t use fresh herbs, dried herbs, spices, and acids (such as vinegar or lemon juice) are great alternatives.
- Squeeze your own oranges and lemons
Instead of buying the readily available ones, choose to squeeze your own in a batch and store. This will eliminate the added sugar in the product.
- Select whole wheat flour over all-purpose flour.
Whole wheat flour is an easy way to increase fiber in your recipes.
- Use ground turkey, ground chicken, firm tofu, extra-lean ground beef.
Those are just some of the many alternatives to full-fat beef you can use to save on calories and fat in chili, burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, and lasagna.
- Buy whole wheat bread over the white one
Enjoy your loaf of bread with added fiber and other nutrients. Fiber helps with excretion.
Important Reminder: Any type of food supplement is not a medicine and cannot be used as a medicine for any type of disease.