News & Blog
Sarcoidosis: Awareness and Prevention
August 6, 2022
What is Sarcoidosis?
Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease that affects multiple organs in the body, but mostly the lungs and lymph glands. In people with sarcoidosis, abnormal masses or nodules (called granulomas) consisting of inflamed tissues form in certain organs of the body. These granulomas may alter the normal structure and possibly the function of the affected organ.
The symptoms of sarcoidosis can vary greatly, depending on which organs are involved. Most patients initially complain of a persistent dry cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms may include:
- Tender reddish bumps or patches on the skin.
- Red and teary eyes or blurred vision
- Swollen and painful joints
- Enlarged and tender lymph glands in the neck, armpits and groin
- Enlarged lymph glands in the chest and around the lungs
- Hoarse voice
In some people, symptoms may begin suddenly and/or severely and subside in a short period of time. Others may have no outward symptoms at all even though organs are affected. Still others may have symptoms that appear slowly and subtly, but which last or recur over a long time span.
The exact cause of sarcoidosis in unknown. It could be a type of autoimmune disease associated with an abnormal immune response, but what triggers this response is uncertain.
There is no cure for sarcoidosis, but the disease may get better on its own over time. Many people with sarcoidosis have mild symptoms and do not require any treatment. Treatment, when it is needed, is given to reduce symptoms and to maintain the proper working order of the affected organs.
Treatments generally fall into two categories — maintenance of good health practices and drug treatment. – Good health practices include:
- Getting regular check-ups with your healthcare provider
- Eating a well-balanced diet with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Drinking enough fluids every day
- Getting six to eight hours of sleep each night
- Exercising regularly and managing your weight
- Quitting smoking
Important Reminder: Any type of food supplement is not a medicine and cannot be used as a medicine for any type of disease.
SSY Bldg., Km. 72 Mc Arthur Hwy., Brgy. San Isidro
San Fernando City, Pampanga
045 404 32867
0929 542 0111
0908 776 6666
0915 334 5777